In this lesson, you will learn how to unmerge cells in Excel application. Unmerging cells in Microsoft Excel is a very important technique that allows you to unmerge the merged multiple cells into the original position. This feature is particularly useful when you want to create multiple columns or rows. By unmerging or uncombining cells, you can improve the presentation and clarity of your spreadsheets, making them more accessible and aesthetically pleasing.
How to Unmerge Cells in Excel Application?
Now you can follow the below steps on how to unmerge cells in Excel and return them to their original position, just follow these steps:
- Select Merged Cells: Select the merged cells of your spreadsheet.
- Select “Unmerge Cells”: Choose the “Unmerge Cells” option in the dropdown arrow located in front of “Merge & Center” label. Click on it.
You can also unmerge it by clicking “Merge & Center” label.
- View the Unmerged Cells: After selecting “Unmerge Cells,” you will see that the previously merged cell or cell range has been unmerged, and the content now occupies separate, individual cells.
- Adjust Formatting (if needed): You may need to adjust formatting, such as cell borders, font size, or alignment, to match the original formatting if desired.
- Save Your Workbook: Be sure to save your workbook after unmerging cells to preserve your changes.
By following these steps, you can effectively merge and unmerge two or more cells in Excel, allowing you to create headers, labels, or titles that span across multiple cells, thereby improving the organization and visual presentation of your spreadsheet data.